First of all thanks for landing this article, if you are searching for Barbell Squat Muscles Worked then we must say you are in the right place.
So without getting into the query less directly jump on the Barbell Squat Muscles Worked
- Force: Push
- Dynamic stabilizers (not highlighted): Hamstrings (Biceps Femoris, Semimembranosus, Semitendinosus), Gastrocnemius
- Synergists: Adductor Magnus, Soleus
- Important stabilizers (not highlighted): Erector Spinae, Rectus Abdominis, Obliques
- Target muscles: Gluteus Maximus, Quadriceps
- Mechanics: Compound
How To Do Barbell Squat Muscles Worked?
- Load a barbell on a rack at upper-chest height.
- Step under the barbell so that it rests on the back of your shoulders.
- Grasp the bar at each side.
- Dismount the barbell and step backward carefully.
- Your feet should be shoulder-width apart and pointing slightly outwards.
- Inhale as you squat down by simultaneously pushing your butt backward and bending your knees forward.
- Keep your torso upright, and descend at least until your knees are bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Exhale as you push your body back up to the starting position, driving through your heels and keeping your torso upright.
- Keep your knees and feet pointing in the same direction.
- Keep your back straight, torso upright, head up, and feet flat.
- Practice proper barbell squat form with an unloaded barbell.
- Start light and add weight gradually, allowing your legs and lower back to adapt.
- If lifting heavy, have a spotter ready, or use a squat rack or power rack.
- The barbell squat is arguably the king of all exercises, the only challenger being the barbell deadlift.
- The exercise is loved by men because it is great at strengthening the legs and core, shocking the body into releasing testosterone and promoting the development of body-wide muscle and strength.
- The exercise is loved by women because it is very effective at toning butts and thighs.
- Most barbell squat-related accidents happen while stepping back with the barbell.